The Blackhawks held on to beat the Nashville Predators two-1 at Bridgestone Arena on Thursday.
Ideal right here are 10 observations from the win:
1. Going into Thursday, the Predators have been 13–3 in their final 16 games against Chicago. The Blackhawks lastly beat the Predators in regulation for the 1st time due to the truth Dec. 18, 2018, which was a two-1 win at the United Center. Go figure.
two. Alex Stalock had a bit of a shaky commence but settled down quickly soon after the 1st period, although it did not come without the need of getting a couple of hold-your-breath moments, which I will get to in the subsequent bullet point. His most very important quit of the evening came on Philip Tomasino, who had a breakaway in the 1st period of a – game but Stalock created the save — he had to seem back to make optimistic it did not slip prior him. Stalock stopped 35 of 36 shots for a save percentage of .972. His shutout bid was broken with 23.six seconds left in regulation. Ouch.
3. The Predators have been awarded a penalty shot in the second period quickly soon after Stalock threw his stick at Rasmus Asplund, but they could not capitalize on their attempt. Matt Duchene mishandled the puck and Stalock created the uncomplicated save. It was the third straight game Stalock faced a penalty shot quickly soon after performing so against Boston on Tuesday when he denied David Pastrnak and Detroit final week when he stopped Dylan Larkin. A tough missed possibility for the Predators.
4. The line of Joey Anderson, Boris Katchouk and Jujhar Khaira was, by far, the most effective trio for Chicago. When the three of them have been on the ice collectively at even strength, the Blackhawks led in shot attempts (19-eight) and scoring probabilities (9-3), per Organic Stat Trick. When the other three lines have been on the ice, the Blackhawks trailed in shot attempts (37-16) and scoring probabilities (17-7). Oh, I forgot to mention, Anderson scored his third aim in five games to location his group ahead two-, which was the icing on the cake. They earned that aim.
5. The Blackhawks scored the 1st aim for the sixth time in seven games. In four of the final six games, they’ve held two- leads. They’ve gotten off to some superior starts lately, which was a large struggle for them earlier in the season.
six. Lukas Reichel scored his third profession NHL aim, and it will nearly surely be one particular unique of the weirder ones he scores at this level. He and Andreas Athanasiou had a two-on-1, and Reichel’s attempted pass to Athanasiou was broken up by Dante Fabbro, who ended up crashing into Juuse Saros. The puck then positioned its way in mostly simply because the momentum carried it forward, and it occurred even although the net came off its moorings. It counted mostly simply because the Predators knocked the net off themselves.
7. I believed the Caleb and Seth Jones pairing was sturdy. They led the group in ice time but when once again, and the ice tilted in the Blackhawks’ favor when they have been out there.
eight. With Jonathan Toews nonetheless out, Max Domi traded, and Cole Guttman out for the season with a shoulder injury, the Blackhawks’ center depth has taken a major hit. The Blackhawks have been one particular unique of the finest faceoff teams all season lengthy, but they have not been as strong in that division as of late.
9. Even even although they have been sellers at the trade deadline, the Predators have caught fire the final couple of weeks. They are eight-3-1 additional than their final 12 games and are only four points out of the final wildcard spot in the West with three games in hand. And they are performing it without the need of getting their leading aim scorer Filip Forsberg. Who would’ve believed? I in no way think they will go truly far if they get into the playoffs, but they are battling.
ten. The Blackhawks signed defenseman prospect Wyatt Kaiser to a three-year, entry-level contract on Tuesday. He joined the group on the five-game road trip but didn’t play in this game. They want him to get a couple of practices in 1st. He’s a wonderful all-about defenseman, and I am curious to see how his game will translate to the NHL level.
Click proper right here to subscribe to the Blackhawks Speak Podcast for entirely no cost.